Every summer comes with the promise of amazing memories, countless hours of fun and enviable tans; of course with the risk of sunburn, spots, wrinkles and irreparable damage to our skin. Not to go all Debbie Downer on you, but the reality is that even though having perfectly bronzed skin is hot as hell, you know what isn’t? Looking like that old lady from There’s Something About Mary. So here’s a round up of my go-to summer beauty products I use every time I hit the pool, the beach or plan on being outdoors for long:
- First I start by applying an eye cream with SPF. I don’t know if this has happened to you, but it was hard for me to find one at all. The area around our eyes is so thin and sensitive, and such a tell tale sign of health and ageing, I don’t know why it was so difficult for me to find an eye cream with a decent amount of SPF. I thought there would be an abundance of them, but it was more like finding a needle in a haystack. Nevertheless, after asking at many a beauty counter, I finally found one from Lancôme; their UV Expert Yeux Neuroshield cream is lightweight and fast absorbing.
- Then I apply sunscreen with no less than 15 SPF on my body, and no less than 30 SPF on my face. I’m currently using Clarins moisturising and age-control Sunscreen Care Cream with 30 SPF on my body and Clarins Sunscreen with Wrinkle Control and 50 SPF on my face because, let’s face it, it’s all downhill after 30, hahaha! No, but seriously… I noticed my first two or three sunspots last year so I really have to be careful!
- Since all that sunscreen isn’t going to give me the tropical tan I used to rock during my reckless teenage years, I like to put on a little tinted moisturiser on my face and then some bronzing powder to create at least the illusion of a summer glow. I’ve been using Clinique’s True Bronze Pressed Powder for as long as I can remember; I love it! And recently, I discovered Chanel’s Les Beiges All In One Healthy Glow Fluid with 15 SPF and it is the bomb! I highly recommend it, it’s a quick and easy way to look presentable and protect your skin at the same time.
- Finally, the finishing touches. Chanel’s Waterproof Eyeliner in 911 Ambre Doré is an instant eye brightener and lasts all day. I like to apply it only on the bottom of my eyes. Last but not least, a waterproof mascara is essential year round in Panama because the humidity can make my makeup runny and gross. Lancôme’s Hypnose mascara has long been a best seller in the beauty market which is why I had no doubt their waterproof version would stand the test of a day in the sun and/or in the water.
- Extras; Clarins has a great sunscreen stick for sensitive areas like lips, ears and nose. I also put it on my scars sometimes. After-sun skincare is also very important; Biotherm makes great after-sun creams but I really like their Oil Therapy line. It’s great for replenishing your skin when it gets dry after being exposed to the sun, wind and salt water –or worst; pool water– all day. It’s also essential to keep hydrated; remember to drink plenty of water!
So there you have it; my summer skincare routine. It’s a lot of products but thankfully Felix stocks them all, which is why it has long been my one stop shop in Panama for all things beauty. Read below for outfit details and credits.
Wearing necklace, bracelets and bikini from Felix B. Maduro, earrings from Wanderlust + Co, tragus earring from Love Adorned, ring from Barakat in Panama, Chanel Le Vernis Nail Color in “Secret”.
Featuring a beach towel from Polo Ralph Lauren, jungle print zipper pouch from Zara Home, Giuseppe Zanotti fishbone sandals, Chanel sunglasses, iPod Classic and Lena Dunham’s Not That Kind Of Girl.
Photography by Jose Castrellon. Layout by me.